At New Mill Juniors our Year 5 pupils (and some Year 6 pupils) have weekly swimming lessons at Holmfirth Swimming Pool with fully trained swimming coaches. We believe that swimming and water safety skills are hugely important and potentially life saving.
- Pupils are expected to take part in swimming lessons every week.
- Pupils need to ensure that they have their swimming kit in school on their swimming day every week.
- Girls should wear a suitable swimsuit.
- Boys should wear figure hugging swimming briefs or shorts (not loose, baggy styles).
- All pupils need a swimming cap and towel.
- Swimming goggles are not necessary.
- All earrings and jewellery should be removed.
- If your child would like to have their ears pierced, please ensure that this is done at the beginning of the summer holidays. (Pupils are not allowed to take part in swimming lessons for six weeks after having their ears pierced.)
Swimming and Water Safety Data 2017 - 2018
NC Swimming and Water Safety Requirements
|What percentage of Y6 pupils can swim competantly, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25m?||98%|
|What percentage of Y6 pupils can use a range of swimming strokes effectively?||70%|
|What percantage of Y6 pupils can perform safe self-rescue in different water situations?||59%|
|Has Wooldale Junior School used Sports Premium funding to provide additional swimming provision over and above NC requirements?||Yes|