At New Mill Juniors our Year 5 pupils (and some Year 6 pupils) have weekly swimming lessons at Holmfirth Swimming Pool with fully trained swimming coaches. During these sessions pupils are trained in basic water safety. We believe that swimming and water safety skills are hugely important and potentially life saving.
- Pupils are expected to take part in swimming lessons every week.
- Pupils need to ensure that they have their swimming kit in school on their swimming day every week.
- Girls should wear a suitable swimsuit.
- Boys should wear figure hugging swimming briefs or shorts (not loose, baggy styles).
- All pupils need a swimming cap and towel.
- Swimming goggles are not necessary.
- All earrings and jewellery should be removed.
- If your child would like to have their ears pierced, please ensure that this is done at the beginning of the summer holidays. (Pupils are not allowed to take part in swimming lessons for six weeks after having their ears pierced.)
Swimming and Water Safety Data 2019 - 2020
NC Swimming and Water Safety Requirements
|What percentage of Y6 pupils can swim competantly, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25m?||Not Available*|
|What percentage of Y6 pupils can use a range of swimming strokes effectively?||Not Available*|
|What percantage of Y6 pupils can perform safe self-rescue in different water situations?||Not Available*|
|Has New Mill Junior School used Sports Premium funding to provide additional swimming provision over and above NC requirements?||Not Available*|
** This data is not available due to Covid 19 restrictions during the 2019-2020 academic year.